At the beginning of September my friend and I were talking and she said that 2017 had been a great year for us. And even though I agreed I did not really feel that way. That conversation led me to really consider and ponder on what “a great year” actually meant to me.
During this reflection I realised that the reason I felt that 2017 had not been a great year for me was because I was focusing and dwelling on the negative. I was focusing on the challenges I had faced and the goals I had not yet met. I was blinded by negativity.
But as I continued to reflect I came to another realisation. I realised that it is not always about the end destination but about the journey as the journey makes us who we are.
The truth is that we more often than not allow ourselves to be caught up in a web of negativity. Although we may have faced victory in one area of our lives we ponder on the “missed” opportunities. But I challenge you all today to change your way of thinking, your attitudes and your perspectives.
For me 2017 has been a year of growth. I have learnt so much this year and for that I am grateful. In every situation there is an opportunity to learn. And with each lesson comes growth.
I want to share with you all some of the lessons that 2017 has taught me:
- There is so much power in positive thinking and declaration
- When confidence and preparation is met with opportunity it can equal success
- “Vision is more important than sight” – Maleek Berry
- “Don’t compete for what you want, create it” – Zain Asher
- Sometimes you need to make sacrifices which can include spending time alone to really work on yourself and your goals
- You create your own happiness, if you decide you want to be happy then you will be – focus on controlling your thoughts and emotions
So every time you face a challenge, a test or find yourself struggling and you overcome it (because they are always temporary) ask yourself:
- What did I learn from this?
- What do I want to take from this lesson?
- How can I apply this lesson in to my life?
So I ask you again “what type of year has 2017 been for you?”
And how do you plan to spend the last month of 2017? Creating your own happiness or succumbing to negativity?