I don’t know about you, but the idea of leading a healthy lifestyle had never really appealed to me. I was much more interested in working out sporadically and eating food that tasted good – regardless of the health effects.
It was only in the beginning of 2017 that I became motivated enough to set myself the goal of leading a much healthier lifestyle. And so my action plan began.
I began with changing my diet to consist of a lot more protein in conjunction with more vegetables and minimal carbohydrates. Alongside this I set myself the goal of attending the gym minimum 2 – 3 times a week. I also made sure that I did 100 sit-ups every morning when I woke up. I was honestly a girl on a mission, mainly motivated by the idea of “looking good.” But after I began to see the results of my hard work and dedication, I actually started enjoying my new healthier routine. I became in love with the results and the effects of being healthy and staying fit.
So let me share with you some of my tips of being the best healthier version of yourself…
1. Find the foods that you love the most (mine was chicken) and find healthier ways to make it and different healthier side dishes that you could make with it. For example brown rice instead of white rice (but smaller sized portions).
2. Find a workout routine that works for you and then build yourself up – for instance, begin with a thirty minute session then build up to an hour, an hour and a half and so on. If the gym is not for you consider doing frequent home workouts – use YouTube.
3. Find a workout buddy – without mine, I doubt that I would have been able to achieve my goals in such a timely manner. It’s always good to have somebody that can motivate you and keep you in check. My workout buddy kept me motivated by providing words of wisdom and always encouraging me to stick to my gym routine, especially on the days where I lacked motivation.
4. Cheat days are allowed – but do not go overboard and lose yourself.
5. Drink 2L of water every single day – it helps boost your metabolism and also helps fuel the muscles. I also recommend drinking peppermint or green tea (one cup a day at the minimum) because they help with bloated stomachs.
6. Meal Prep – On Sundays I usually cook a weeks’ worth of healthy meals. This minimises all temptation to eat unhealthy food and is also a great way to save money.
7. Patience is key – many people are frustrated when they do not see results straight away but just remember that it takes time.
8. Most importantly NEVER GIVE UP 🙂 – leading a healthier lifestyle is a choice and it doesn’t come naturally to many, we are all on different journeys so never compare yours with anybody else’s!
TOP TIP: Make a goal > plan how to achieve that goal > go above and beyond > reach that goal (and repeat the cycle)
All you have to do is try and keep trying!